Microwave or oven, which one is better for your kitchen? Well, it’s a tricky question. But, what if we tell you that you don’t have to choose one among them.
It’s fitting because a convection microwave has combined the best features of both devices.
Convection microwaves are not new to the market, but not all users know about them. You might need to do a lot of research to understand these electrical appliances.
But, can help. Here, we will discuss all the points about a convection microwave, including
- What is a convection microwave?
- How does this kitchen appliance work?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a convection microwave?
- Is convection worth your investment?
After reading until the end, you will decide whether you can purchase a convection microwave for your kitchen or try other instruments. Are you ready? Let’s roll.
What is a Convection Microwave?
Introduced in 1965, a convection microwave is a versatile kitchen appliance that uses microwaves to reheat or cook your food. It can also work as a traditional oven with the help of a heating coil and inbuilt fan. These two components can bake, crisp and brown roasted food items.
A convection microwave is available with the exact dimensions as its traditional variant. However, some of the users find it too limited when compared to a standard oven.
What are the Best Selling Convection Microwave Ovens in the UK?
How Does a Convection Microwave Works?
As we discussed earlier, a convection microwave can function both as a microwave and an oven. Plus, it gives you the option to switch between two modes so that you can prepare your meals without wasting much time.
When operational under microwave mode, the appliance converts energy into electromagnetic radiation called microwaves.
This conversion is accomplished by a component called a magnetron. Now, all these microwaves flow towards your meal and vibrate all its water molecules.
Heat is generated by this friction, which eventually cooks or heats your food item.
Imagine all these radiations bouncing inside the microwave. What could be the obvious result?
These microwaves cancel each other, which is why internal parts of your food are often cold than its exterior edge. Most of the microwaves come with a turntable to solve this small problem.
Things are different in convection mode because there are no radiations used. Instead, the microwave uses a heating element to raise the temperature inside. Plus, a fan distributes the heat for the uniform cooking of your meal.
Some microwaves come with a preset mechanism to switch between microwave and convection mode automatically, which minimizes the cooking time.
Do not forget any metal spoon or similar item inside a microwave. The microwaves are not good with metals, and they generally result in sparks.
Pros & Cons of a Convection Microwave
Similar to all the kitchen appliances, a convection microwave has its benefits and disadvantages. Such machines are helpful, but that doesn’t mean it’s suitable for all the kitchens.
- Space saver: A convection microwave comprises both oven and microwave, which means you don’t have to sacrifice open space for two different appliances.
- Easy usage: Most convection microwaves have the option to alternate between microwave and oven modes automatically. You need to touch a button to activate this cooking method.
- Efficient: Consume less power than a traditional oven, which makes some reduction in your electricity bills.
- User-friendly: You don’t have to light up a stove every time you need to reheat or defrost something.
- Regular cleaning: You need to clean the appliance frequently. Any grease or oil accumulation will decrease the cooking time in future. Plus, the stains will not be easy to remove after some time.
- Some learning required: If you are a newcomer in the world of convection microwaves, then you need to spend some time reading the annual, check its settings and make some sample dishes to check your progress.
Are Convection Microwaves Worth It?
The answer varies according to the situation. For instance, if you are residing in a small flat but want to cook at home, this appliance could be the best bet.
A convection microwave doesn’t occupy much space in your kitchen, but it can cook most of the things you can enjoy in breakfast, lunch or dinner.
On the other hand, you might not need a convection microwave if you own a full-fledged kitchen.
But, it could be helpful if you need some additional cooking space. Besides that, convection microwaves are also excellent for motor homes, holiday cabins, small apartments, hostels and dorms.
Convection microwave cannot prepare all the food items, but it can do most of the things. Such an appliance is also suitable if you have a small kitchen. It’s an all in one cooking cum reheating instrument that anyone can use irrespective of their job and age.
We hope now you know what is a convection microwave and is it worth your investment. If you find the helpful information, then try reading some of our other posts. Have a good day ahead.