Microwave is not an essential kitchen appliance, but it makes things easier for you. Are we right? It’s the reason why around 93 per cent household in the UK owns a microwave.
Microwaves are the best appliance when you want to reheat your meal.
However, if you use the microwave only to heat the eatables, you cannot explore its full potential. And if you own a microwave oven and use the appliance only to rewarm the meals, then you are under-utilizing it.
11 Uses of Microwave Oven
Here, we will discuss the top uses of a microwave oven. There are various types of microwave ovens available in the market. Depending on their types and additional features, uses may vary. After reading this post, you will either upgrade to a microwave oven or start using it differently.
1. Reheating: Reheating process on a stove is not only a tough but time-taking as well.
On the other hand, a microwave can rewarm your meal without seconds without any hard work. Plus, the food will maintain its original form without releasing any moisture.
A microwave oven can reheat any of your eatables without wasting much time. It’s the primary reason these appliances are common in households and commercial establishments like bakeries, restaurants, offices etc. But, of course, the heating time depends upon the quantity of your food.
2. Cooking: Most users prefer to cook using a cook-top, but a microwave oven can also prepare a wide range of meals for you.
Whether you want to enjoy pasta, omelette, baked potato, or BBQ chicken nachos, a microwave oven is a perfect appliance to prepare them.
Also read: Can I Cook Pizza in Microwave Oven?
3. Baking: Not only potatoes and bread, but you can also bake cakes using a microwave oven. The end product will be soft and tasty like any other cake you enjoy in general.
For example, you can prepare chocolate cake in a microwave oven within 10 minutes, which is quick and efficient compared to traditional methods that involve preheating.
4. Defrosting: You can use a microwave oven to defrost the frozen fruits, vegetables, or meat without wasting water. There is no need to wash the fish or meat repeatedly with water.
Put them inside the microwave, and it will do the needful within few seconds.
Plus, the appliance retains all the nutrients of your food items, which might be lost if you wash them with warm water.
5. Roasting: Microwave ovens are beneficial when you want to roast chicken, bread, garlic and make popcorns.
This kitchen appliance offers quick and efficient roasting, which is not possible via traditional methods.
6. Blanching: If you want to blanch fruits or vegetables without wasting much time or effort, a microwave oven is the best bet. Plus, this kitchen appliance retains the nutritional value of the eatables.
On the other hand, traditional blanching methods are time-consuming. Plus, vegetables and fruits might lose their healthy contents.
7. Steaming: You can steam vegetables using a microwave oven. The steaming process is easy when you have a microwave.
Plus, it also retains all the nutrients, which might be lost while boiling.
8. Disinfect kitchen items: You might not know about it, but a microwave oven can disinfect any kitchen tools like a cutting board or sponge.
For example, soak the cutting board in some lemon juice and expose it to the microwaves for a minute. This action will not only disinfect the board but also deodorize it.
9. Make citrus fruits juicier: Don’t feel surprised, but a microwave oven can make any of the citrus fruits more luscious.
So, don’t juice out an orange or lemon immediately after you take them out of the refrigerator.
Instead, leave the item inside your microwave oven for 20 seconds, and you will notice more juice out of them.
10. De-crystallize honey: Most of us struggle to take out honey that has turned solid. But, you can transform the honey back to its natural density using a microwave oven.
Take out the lid of the honey bottle, place it inside the microwave for 60 seconds, and that’s it. Then, use the honey as per your requirement.
11. Yeast proofing: Do you know the time required for yeast proofing?
Around 60 minutes. But, you can do it within 15 minutes with the help of a microwave oven.
However, do not set the appliance directly at 15 minutes. Instead, put it at 3 minutes and let the dough idle for the next 3 minutes.
Then, reheat it again for precisely 3 minutes and let it cool for the following 6 minutes. This process will add some bulk to the dough.
The Bottom Line
Now you know what is the microwave oven used for. As you can see, it’s a versatile kitchen appliance that you can use to cook food, reheat eatables, bake, roast, defrost, blanch, steam, disinfect kitchen tools etc.
So, if you want to upgrade the microwave, then try an efficient and multipurpose microwave oven and enjoy meals without facing hassles.
- Best Corner Microwave (Curve Oven) Reviews
- Flatbed Microwave Vs Turntable Microwave
- Convection Microwave Oven
- Microwave Oven Vs Conventional Oven
- Best Flatbed Microwave Oven Reviews